How to get random images from a folder

Options
keshu
keshu Member Posts: 2

I am making something like a social media website, using cloudinary to store user avatars and other images

when a user dont want to upload a profile pic, i want the default profile avatar to be choosen randomly from a folder in which i have uploaded some cool random avatars

it is possible ? maybe a get request that will give a random image url from that folder

i am using node , express

Best Answer

• Wissam
    Wissam Member, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 71
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @keshu,

Cloudinary does not provide a built-in feature to randomly select an image from a folder. However, you can achieve this by implementing a few steps in your Node.js and Express application. Here is one way to do it:

• First, you need to fetch all the images from the folder in Cloudinary. You can use the cloudinary.search method to achieve this. Here is an example code snippet:
    const { resources } = await cloudinary.search
      .expression('folder:<folder_name>')
      .execute();

• Once you have all the images, you can select a random image from the array of images using the Math.random() method. Here is an example code snippet:
    const randomIndex = Math.floor(Math.random() * resources.length);
    const randomImage = resources[randomIndex];

• Finally, you can construct the URL for the random image using the secure_url property of the randomImage object. Here is an example code snippet:
    const randomImageUrl = randomImage.secure_url;

You can then use this randomImageUrl as the default profile avatar for users who don’t upload their profile picture.

Please note that this is a basic implementation and you might need to handle errors and edge cases as per your application's requirements.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Wissam

Answers

• keshu
    keshu Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello @Wissam ,

Thanks for your answer

If Cloudinary doesnt allow random selection of images then I guess this will be a cool feature to be added, what do you think ?

• Wissam
    Wissam Member, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 71
    Options

Hi @keshu ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand that you would like to have a feature that allows a random selection of images from a folder, but as I have suggested it is more a functionality in your application code. This would allow you to have more control over the selection process and customize it to your specific needs.

I hope it makes sense.

Regards,

Wissam

• rlux
    rlux Administrator, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 53
    Options