How to estimate cost on monthly bases for a video streaming platform?

Options
Stefan995
Stefan995 Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I am building an educational platform where each course has 10-15 hours of video material. I am wondering, how can I estimate the cost of me serving these videos to the users (I want users just to watch them, nothing else)? This has to do with the bandwith, right?

I mean, let's say that I have a course which is 15 hours long, and 5000 users watching this course. Keep in mind that users might be pasuing and rewinding the same video over and over again, so how does this information (15h of video material + 5000 users) affect monthly cost?

Answers

• Tom
    Tom Member, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @Stefan995 ,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please look at the following links for pricing information:

Our pricing structure is based on three main usage metrics: Transformations, Storage, and Bandwidth where 1 Credit equals 1000 transformations or 1GB of managed storage or 1GB of viewing bandwidth or 500 SD video seconds or 250 HD video processing seconds.

In your case, let's say the following applies per month:

• total storage for your videos is 15GB (15 credits)
    • 15 hours of streaming in HD is (15x60x60)/250 = 216 credits

This would cost you ~231 credits per month and if you use transformations you will need to take that into account as well, more on that here: https://cloudinary.com/documentation/transformation_counts.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Thomas

• Stefan995
    Stefan995 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Right, but is this 15 hours of streaming in HD per user?

Meaning, if I have 5000 users lets say and they all complete a course within a month (15h each), does that make 216*5000 = 1080000 credits?

• Tom
    Tom Member, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @Stefan995 ,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, that is correct, that would require an enterprise plan which you can contact our sales team about if you're interested.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

Thomas