gen_remove is not supported as an incoming transformation

Options
Azurox
Azurox Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use a transformation preset while I upload pictures in node.js, this preset contains a gen_remove and it crashes with an error 500 "[unhandled] [500] gen_remove is not supported as an incoming transformation".

I don't see a list of unsupported transformation in the docs, maybe because it's a new feature ?

I have trouble seeing the flow I should do if I can't directly transform it when I upload it

Should I :

• Upload it without a transformation preset
  • Apply the transformation preset via URL and download the picture
  • Re-upload the picture with the correct transformations ?

It seems a bit counter productive 😅

Thanks

Answers

• Cloudinary Team
    Cloudinary Team Administrator, Cloudinary Staff Posts: 124 admin
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

This limitation is actually mentioned in the documentation on the gen_remove feature. If you look in the blue highlighted box titled 'Notes and limitations', you will see this is mentioned in the last bullet point:
    https://cloudinary.com/documentation/transformation_reference#e_gen_remove

You can apply the transformation dynamically, just adding the transformation component to the URL.
    You use the API to create an image tag. Here is an example of how to do that in Node:

cloudinary.image("docs/horse-with-rider.jpg", {effect: "gen_remove:prompt_the person"})

We have examples in other languages as well. You can find these in the documentation.
    If you prefer to use the UI, you can add the transformation in the transformation builder ( https://tx.cloudinary.com/?publicId=docs/horse-with-rider&transformationString=e_gen_remove:prompt_the+person )

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Tia

Helpful Links For You
    💬 Share questions, connect with other users in our Cloudinary Community forums and Discord server!
    🧑‍🎓 Join our Cloudinary Academy for free courses, workshops and other educational resources.
    📄 Read our documentation for in-depth details on Cloudinary product features and capabilities
    📰 Check out the Cloudinary blog for the latest company news and insights